Elections & Voter Information
One of the best ways to participate in Northfield’s municipal city government is by voting. The City Clerk’s Office oversees all aspects related to holding elections, including voter registration, polling locations, absentee voting, election judges, and candidate filing.
2020 election dates
- March 3, 2020 Presidential Nomination Primary - Only major political parties will participate; each party has its own ballot with only their candidates listed. You will be required to request only one party’s ballot when you vote, whether absentee or in-person at your polling place. Please see additional information on what to expect for the Presidential Nomination Primary.
- August 11, 2020 Primary Election Day
- November 3, 2020 General Election Day
- Polls are open 7 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Notice of Filing information
- May 19 - June 2, 2020
- January 17 - March 2 (Presidential Nomination Primary)
- June 26 - August 10 (Primary Election)
- September 18 - November 2 (General Election)
- Northfield City Hall
Monday - Friday
8 am - 4:30 pm.
Must arrive by 4:15 pm.
- Saturday, February 29 - 10 am - 3 pm (must arrive by 2:45 pm)
- Monday, March 2 - open until 5 pm (must arrive by 4:45 pm)
- Saturday, August 8 - 10 am - 3 pm (must arrive by 2:45 pm)
- Monday, August 10 - open until 5 pm (must arrive by 4:45 pm)
- Saturday, October 31 - 10 am - 3 pm (must arrive by 2:45 pm)
- Monday, November 2 - open until 5 pm (must arrive by 4:45 pm)
Voter pre-registration deadlines:
(Register in advance to save time on Election Day)
- February 11, 2020 for the Presidential Nomination Primary
- July 21, 2020 for the Primary Election
- October 13, 2020 for the General Election
View results from:
Northfield City Clerk - Call 507-645-3001
Minnesota Secretary of State - Call 651-201-1339
Rice County Elections - Call 507-645-9576
Dakota County Elections - Call 651-438-4305