Growing Local: Northfield Emerging Leaders Program
Decisions are made by those who show up. But "showing up" can be challenging, scary and intimidating especially if you have never done it before. Our community needs strong, capable, diverse leadership to remain vibrant. This program is being designed to help emerging leaders be ready to join boards, commissions and committees in our community.
- Build participant's confidence, connections and leadership skills to successfully engage in their local government and community's leadership.
- Participants gain a network of common interest and sustained support for active leadership in the Northfield community.
- Grow the number of diverse participants actively engaged in local area boards, commissions and committees.
- Develop a leadership program that can be replicated in the future. This is a pilot offering. Participants will inform and guide future program goals and direction.
Who can participate?
This program is designed for residents in the Northfield area from historically under-represented groups such as people of color, people living with disabilities, LGBTQ+ and others who have not yet actively participated in local boards, commissions or committees but who are interested in exploring future leadership opportunities.
Participants must be 18 years or older, able to speak and read English, have transportation to and from the sessions, and can commit to attending all program sessions and related activities. They will be paired with an experienced coach for co-learning and networking. Participants will receive a gift card to help offset costs of some expenses associated with participation in the program.
What does it cost?
There is no fee to participants for this pilot offering.
Dates, location and session topics
All sessions will be held at Northfield City Hall, 801 Washington Street. Sessions will be from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. A light meal will be provided.
- February 10, 2020 – Launching Your Community Leadership
- March 9, 2020 – Committee Work: Traps, Solutions, Strategies
- April 13, 2020 – Navigating & Leading Through Conflict
- May 11, 2020 – Ready, Set, Lead!
- Limited amount of outside session homework.
- Participants attend a board, commission or committee meeting of their choice between March and May.
- A follow-up session will be held in September 2020 to refresh and strengthen learning.
Paper application forms are available at City Hall Administration Office, the Northfield Public Library, and the Community Action Center information desk.
Deadline to apply
Application deadline is January 6, 2020 at 4:30 p.m.
Notification of selection
Participants will be notified if they have been selected to participate by January 15, 2020.