Information / Research
online resources 24/7.
ELM (Electronic Library for Minnesota)
ELM gives Minnesota residents online access to magazine, journal, newspaper, and encyclopedia articles, e-books (online books), and other information resources. ELM provides information on a vast array of topics, including consumer information, arts and humanities, current events, health, science, social science, politics, business, and more.
- Chat with a librarian 24/7
- Find information on Minnesota history
- Access the Research Project Calculator where students can get help navigating the research process.
- Get materials from other Minnesota libraries.
The Northfield Library provides several resources for genealogy enthusiasts.
- Ancestry Library and Heritage Quest Online - The library's resource for census data, family records, and local histories. Access this at home or at the library.
- Ancestry Library Edition - This is available only at the library. This database has over 1.5 billion names and includes records from the United States Census, military records, court, land, and probate records, vital and church records, directories, passenger lists and more.
Dalby Database Cemetery Records
The Dalby Database contains the cemetery records for Southeastern Minnesota as well as an index to local newspapers such as the Northfield News, church records, and a number of Minnesota history books. This is a great resource for genealogists and local historians.
The Pye Room offers newspaper and census indexes, Northfield High School yearbooks, and microfilm of all available Northfield newspapers. A reader/printer is available.
More About Genealogy
See more in on our genealogy page.
Our Experts Are Here to Help
Receive expert assistance from qualified information professionals. Reference librarians are here to help you during open hours at the second floor service desk, by calling 507-645-1802, or by chat.