DMV closed until April 10
Due to the coronavirus, the DMV is closed until April 10. At which time, we will reevaluate the situation.
State’s COVID -19 Relief Bill has extended the expiration date for valid drivers’ license, including instruction permits, provisional licenses, operator permits, limited licenses, and farm work licenses, and any Minnesota identification cards during the peacetime health emergency. Once the peacetime emergency ends, people with expired licenses will have two months to get a valid license.
Also, the deadline to obtain a Real ID is now October 1, 2021 and the criteria for identification proof was broadened.
The Minnesota Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office is located at Northfield City Hall.
The office does NOT administer driver’s license testing. The nearest exam stations are in Faribault, Minnesota and Eagan, Minnesota.
- Processing driver’s license applications, renewals, and replacements
- Real ID and enhanced driver’s licenses
- Vehicle title registrations and renewals
- Special license plate requests
- DNR registrations of ATVs, boats, and snowmobiles.
Real ID and enhanced driver’s licenses
Real ID and enhanced driver’s licenses will be processed Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
The process must be started by 3:30 p.m. Please allow time to fill out the application to have the process started by 3:30 p.m.
Bring in your original documents for these licenses.
- All driver’s license and state ID applications must be started by 4:15 p.m. and they must be complete by 4:30 p.m.
- All DNR and motor vehicle transactions must be started by 4:45 p.m.
- There are no exceptions