Compost / Yard Waste
April 24 - November 18, 2018
Monday - Closed
Tuesday - Friday 2:00PM- Sunset
Saturday 8:00AM - 5:00PM (or sunset)
Sunday 12:00PM- 5:00PM (or sunset)
Holidays - Closed
* If sunset occurs before the closing time, the site will close due to darkness. The Compost Site does not have lights.
1801 Armstrong Road
Northfield, MN 55057
Northfield residents may take all yard waste, including brush, branches and shrubbery to the City of Northfield compost site during scheduled hours. Limb size must be less than six inches in circumference. Finished compost is also available for pickup at the site. Businesses and contractors should contact the Streets and Parks Division for information about commercial yard waste disposal.
- DSI will pick up leaves curbside if the following requirements are met:
- Leaves must be in a compostable brown paper bag.
- Bags are available at a variety of stores
- Two local vendors are Menards and Ace Hardware
- Bags must be tagged with a proper DSI tag.
- DSI tags can be purchased at Econo Foods for $2.00
- Leaves will be picked up on the same day as your scheduled garbage pickup.
Collect food and non-recyclable paper from your kitchen and place them into biodegradable bags and bring them out to the Compost Site during regular hours. An organic dumpster is also located on the east side of the Street Shop at 1710 Riverview Drive.
All food products can be recycled including fruit, vegetables, bread, cereal, dairy, meat (including bones), coffee grounds, filters and tea bags. Non-recyclable paper includes paper towels, plates, napkins, and pizza boxes.
Items NOT acceptable are plastic bags, styrofoam, glass, metal, diapers and pet waste.
The compost site is located between Northfield and Dundas on Armstrong Road, just south of Sechler Park. The compost site is generally open April through October.
Rice County Landfill
The Rice County solid waste landfill site also accepts yard waste. The landfill is located halfway between Northfield and Faribault, off of Highway 3 approximately one mile east on 145th Street East. For more information about what is accepted at the site, call 507-332-6833 or visit Rice County Landfill website.