Arts and Culture Commission
|Bonnie Jean Flom||Member||12/31/2019|
|Mark Gleason||Vice Chair||12/31/2018|
|Alyssa Herzog Melby||Chair||12/31/2020|
|Harper Bechtel||Youth Rep|
|Robby Swenson||Youth Rep|
|Hannah Singh||Youth Rep|
|Ann Beimers (Voting)||Youth Rep|
|Teresa Jensen||Library and IT Director||507-645-1801|
The Arts and Culture Commission advises City Council about the development of arts and cultural activities, organizations, and facilities in Northfield."The Arts and Culture Commission was created by City Council in January 2007 following a recommendation from ArtsPlan06 which identified its mission." Its purpose is to assist Northfield in becoming a community in which arts and cultural activities:
- Are recognized as vital components of community life worthy of investment and support from the public, private, and nonprofit sectors
- Are valued and promoted for their economic benefits and development potential, especially in the downtown
- Include new ethnic groups in Northfield's identity and sense of community
- Represent an integral part of Northfield's educational mission and programs for young people
- Engage the talents and involvement of retirees and senior citizens
- Develop a wider array of opportunities for collaboration between faculty and student artists at the two colleges and community artists
- Cooperate to enhance the public perception of Northfield's identity and quality of life in the community itself, the surrounding region, and beyond
The Arts and Culture Commission has initiated a number of special projects, including sidewalk poetry, a high school sculpture project, a living treasures award and a study on the economic impact of the arts in Northfield.
Application & Membership Requirements
Members are appointed by the mayor with the approval of the City Council. Members, based on their willingness to serve and background, are appointed from various sectors of the community, including arts and cultural organizations, Carleton and St. Olaf Colleges, local schools, business community, independent artists, and the community at large.
Applications are available online or at:
- City Hall
801 Washington St.
Northfield, MN 55057
- Northfield Public Library
210 Washington St.
Northfield, MN 55057