The National Weather Service (NWS) has placed the Rice County area in a Flood Watch through Thursday, March 14. NWS predicts the Rice County area will receive 1-2 inches of rain. The rain combined with heavy snow pack and frozen ground will create potential flooding of streets and low-lying areas. These conditions are Not likely to cause the typical Cannon River flooding we see in Northfield.
The City of Northfield asks residents:
- Report dangerous/extreme street flooding. During business hours, M-F 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., please call the Northfield Streets Department at 507-645-3045; after hours please call the Police Non-Emergency line, 507-645-4475.
- Watch neighborhood storm drains and help clear drains if it can be done safely, preferably before covered in water.
- Check sump pumps and landscaping around homes. Rainwater may pool next to foundations.
- The City has sandbags and sand available for emergency/urgent flood or water encroachment issues. Please call the Streets Department at 507-645-3045, M-F 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. If the inquiry is after hours, please call the Police Non-Emergency line at 507-645-4475.
The NWS has also placed the Cannon River at Northfield in an elevated flood risk through the Spring Season. According to the NWS, fall ground water conditions, heavy snow amounts, and other factors will create an elevated risk of the Cannon River reaching Major Flood Stage this Spring. Flood risk will be affected by numerous factors including temperatures, rate of thaw, rainfall amounts and other influences.
City staff will continue to monitor weather conditions and information from the NWS, plan accordingly, and disseminate notices as necessary.
Residents are asked to:
- Please check personal devices and subscriptions used to receive weather alerts to ensure you have the ability to monitor such alerts.
- If your home or business is in the river/flood zone, please make sure you have the materials, resources, and/or contacts necessary to enact protective measures if needed.
- We have posted numerous resources, guidelines, and contact information on the Northfield website home page, under “Emergency Preparedness Resources”, at the following link http://www.ci.northfield.mn.us/index.aspx?NID=985
Do you want to Help? Northfield Shares will be assembling a list of persons and groups willing to help with sandbagging efforts if the need arises during this Spring Flood Season. You can contact Northfield Shares at the following link: https://northfieldshares.org/
Please contact Chief of Police Monte Nelson with any questions, 507-663-9301.